Student Praxis Undergraduate Research Fellowships
Visiting art collective, Shared_Studios, is looking for undergraduate studio art, design and art history majors currently enrolled at CSU Dominguez Hills to participate in an exciting research fellowship at their new Portal location on campus! Selected students will have the opportunity to gain professional experience as an intern working with professional curators, artists and researchers. Awarded applicants will receive a $300 honorarium for their participation helping with the project for the last four weeks of the Fall 2017 semester.
ABOUT PORTALS AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE DIALOGUES
Portals use immersive audiovisual technology (housed within big gold shipping containers) to connect people in distant places as if they were in the same room. The LA_Portal primarily facilitates conversations about police violence as part of a research project through Yale University. The Criminal Justice Dialogues make up a growing collection of conversations between persons in highly policed communities. The goal of this project is to amplify the voices of individuals and communities directly affected by police violence—and whose perspectives are too often missing from conversations on this critical issue.
VIDEOS ABOUT THE PROJECT
FALL 2017 APPLICATION IS OPEN APPLY HERE: https://goo.gl/forms/E4jjih9kvVxCtOn42
Application Deadlines: Students are encouraged to apply ASAP. Candidate interviews will take place beginning Monday November 20th, 2017. Application is on a rolling deadline until positions are filled.
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY
1) Enrollment at CSUDH in the Fall 2017 semester.
2) CSUDH student must be a studio art, design or art history major.
1) Operate the Portal, including assisting Curator in opening and closing the Portal, learning the technology, ushering individuals into and out of the Portal every 20 or 30 minutes, talking to passersby, and explaining the Portals initiative.
2) Assist with Program Dialogues & Events, including assisting in coordinating special events, class visits, leading a discussion group outside the portal, and performances.
3) Outreach in the Community, including on-campus outreach and presentations to classes or clubs with preselected professors and courses in order to facilitate their visit to the Portal.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS
1) Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage people from diverse backgrounds and opinions in conversation.
2) Attention to detail, particularly around scheduling and logistics. Responsible, results-oriented, and self-motivated.
Due to the short term nature of this engagement, we are looking to select more than one fellow. We are looking for fellows who can commit 6 - 10 hours a week. This is a fellowship which begins on November 27, 2017 and will conclude on December 15, 2017. Honorarium will be issued by Shared_Studios at the end of the project upon completion of fellowship responsibilities.